Tomato juice was a favorite beverage of ours during my teenage years. During the scorching summers in my home town, my sister and I would drink gallons of tomato juice. We would just dunk six or seven tomatoes in the blender jar. Add water, just pour sugar straight of the container, gave the blender a whirr and whipped a mean sugar loaded tomato juice. We would pour the juice in tall glasses and drink it up to the last drop and then smack our lips with delight. Gosh!! This juice always manages transport me back to my teenage days.
After I moved out of my home town, I somehow stopped drinking tomato juice. With time, I even forgot about this beverage. But thanks to S, I started drinking this juice all over again. It was during our flight to India. I saw S request the air hostess for tomato juice with salt and pepper. When I heard his request, I saw him with a quizzical look. "How does it taste?" I asked him. "Haven't you tasted tomato juice with salt and pepper?" he asked back. When I said I hadn't he asked the hostess to give another glass of tomato juice with salt and pepper. I took a reluctant sip and boom!!! It had the most amazing flavors. It was salty, spicy, tart, and a tad sweet. It was like falling in love with the tomato juice all over again. After that, I stared making spiced tomato juice from time to time.
A few days back, I decided to experiment and include some citrus flavors into this drink. The inclusion of orange and lemon juices, gives a subtle citrus flavor to the drink. It does enhance the taste but doesn't over power it. I also added some cumin seed powder and some paprika powder for some smoky flavor. And I was pretty impressed with the outcome. Even if I may say so myself.
What I like most about this drink is that, it can be had anytime of the day. It makes a perfect drink to be served during a brunch or as an aperitif. But I think this can be an ultimate drink for a healthy breakfast. The vibrant colors and flavors are sure to wake up every cell of your body.
Spicy Tomato Orange juice Recipe:
Preparation time: 30min
Cooking time- 10min
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Paprika powder- 1tsp
Pepper powder- 1/2tsp
Roasted cumin seed powder- 1/2tsp
Mint leaves to garnish
- Blanch the tomatoes in hot water for 5mins or till the skin splits open.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to a large vessel containing cold water. Once the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, peel the skin and chop them in half.
- Blend the peeled and halved tomatoes along with 3/4-1 cup of water in a blender till the mixture is smooth. Strain the juice and set aside.
- Extract juice from the oranges and set aside.
- Combine the orange, tomato and lime juices in a large pitcher. Stir in the salt, pepper, sugar, cumin and paprika powders and mix well. Chill the juice for at least an hour.
- Pour the juice into individual glasses. Garnish with mint leaves and serve immediately.