In Arabic, The hummus literally translates to Chick peas. And It makes sense. Doesn't it? For this humble dip has chick peas or the Garbanzo beans as the main ingredient. What I have for you today is a recipe for the basic hummus. It has some everyday ingredients like lemon juice, Garlic, herbs and salt. And it tastes amazing just like that. This wonder dip/ Spread is like a blank canvas. It can flavored or dressed with all kinds of herbs and spices. Or, the chick pea itself can be replaced with other beans or vegetables. So the variations with which this dip can be made is endless.
Hummus is my new found love. Until a few days back, I used to think that hummus was a flavorless, bland dip. I am not sure why I thought this. But sadly, I did. I tasted this dip at a friends place a few weeks ago and I was shocked by how delicious it was. A few days after that, I made a small batch of this dip and had it with my sandwiches consistently for a week. That's how obsessed I was.
After I began making this dip, I realized that hummus is a power packed dip. The health benefits is mostly because of the chick peas which is the main ingredient. Apart from being protein rich, the garbanzo beans are rich in fiber as well. They calorie count is relatively low and they are known to reduce cholesterol levels. The Tahini which is nothing but ground sesame seeds is a rich source of calcium. It is filled with Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids that is vital for brain development. So you see. Hummus is much more than a tasty dip it is a condiment with numerous health benefits.
So dip it, spread it and top it. What I have given you is a basic recipe for the hummus. Do you have any other version for this condiment? Do share them with me. For I would love to give your version a try
Preparation time: 25min+soaking time
Tahini paste- 3tbsp
Lemon juice- 3-4tbsp
Cumin seed powder- 1/2tspn
Salt to taste
Garlic- 3 cloves
Coriander leaves- 1tbsp, finely chopped
Olive oil and Chili flakes to garnish
- Soak chick peas in enough water for 6hrs or overnight.
- Pressure cook the soaked chick peas for 5-6 whistles or very soft. Drain and cool. Reserve the drained water.
- Place the chick peas in a blender or food processor with the tahini paste, salt, Lemon juice, Garlic, and coriander leaves and blend till the hummus is coarsely pureed.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of the reserved water and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the ground paste to a serving bowl and adjust the salt and lemon juice.
- Pour olive oil over the prepared hummus and sprinkle chili flakes. Serve at room temperature with Pita bread.