This bread is our current obsession. We just don't seem to get enough of this sweet tea loaf. Purvi has been asking me to bake something with chocolate in it. Besides that, the oven had been cold for quite a while. It was high time, I baked something.
This recipe is adapted from a book called Vegetarian Kitchen by Gita Balsekar. I had purchased this book a long time ago and just forgotten about it. I found the book when I was cleaning up the cupboard. I scanned through the contents of the book and I found some pretty interesting recipes. Among those recipes, this Banana bread caught my attention. After admonishing myself for ignoring the book for so long, I started baking this bread immediately.
What makes this recipe unique is that, it uses fresh bread crumbs along with the flour. Something that I had never come across before. I was a little apprehensive in the beginning. But one bite of the bread set all my doubts to rest. The bread was not only quick and easy to prepare, but it was utterly delicious without being overtly sweet. Texture wise, it was moist without being too dense. Even S who is not a big fan of sweet breads gave a thumbs up. I couldn't ask for anything more. Could I?
Although the recipe was perfect, I couldn't help but make a few changes. Some changes, I made were that, I reduced the quantity of butter and sugar, I made some changes in the quantities of the raising agents. But despite the reduction of butter and sugar, the bread turned out just perfect. I suggest you give this recipe a try. This bread makes a perfect tea time snack or an after school snack if you have kids around.
Banana chocolate bread recipe:
Preparation time: 20min
Baking time- 30-40min
Makes one 9X5 loaf
All purpose flour- 240gms, measured after sifting thrice
Baking powder- 1/2tsp
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
Fresh bread crumbs- 240gms, loosely packed (2 bread slices will yield 240gms of crumbs)
Butter- 6tbsp, softened
Icing sugar- 1/2cup or 120gms+2tbsp
Vanilla essence- 1/2tsp
Over ripe Bananas- 3large
Lemon juice- 1tbsp
Chocolate sprinkles- 1/3 cup
- Grease and dust a 9X5 loaf pan with butter and flour, Line it with baking paper and set aside.
- Puree the bananas along with the lemon juice and set aside.
- Sift the flour along with the baking powder and baking soda. Combine the fresh bread crumbs along with the flour mixture and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, Beat the softened butter along with icing sugar till soft peaks are formed. Add the vanilla essence and beat some more.
- Stir in the pureed bananas and milk and mix till we combined.
- Add the flour-bread crumb mixture gradually and mix using the mix and fold method. Do not over mix.
- Stir in the chocolate sprinkles and mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 30-40 mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool slightly in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm with a cup of coffee or milk.
- You can vary the recipe by replacing the chocolate sprinkles with 1/4 cup of raisins and 1/3 cup of walnuts.
- You can also spice up the bread by adding 1/2 a tsp of cinnamon
- The icing sugar can be replaced with castor sugar.