I sometimes feel that both S and I have impulse control issues when it comes to buying fruits and seasonal vegetables. There are times when we both end up buying the same kind of fruits and vegetables. If there are times when we have excess of fruits in the pantry then they end up in custard or fruit salad. But this one time, we ended up having two boxes of strawberries in the refrigerator. But this time I was tempted to do something different. Since it was a weekend, I decided to try this warm dessert for the Saturday night dinner.
This crumble is absolutely divine. The combination of the sweet apples with the tart strawberries is just heavenly. The hint of lemon mellows the sweetness, and the cinnamon adds a warm flavor. Now coming to the almond topping, all I can say is that, it just increases the flavor of the dessert by many folds. It gives a nutty and biscuit-like texture to the dessert.
Traditionally, condensed milk is not used in making crumble. But this twist adds a delicious caramel flavor, that goes extremely well with apples and strawberries. Yes. It does make the dessert look unattractive and messy. But taste wise, it was so delicious, that the dessert disappeared in 30min flat. That's how good it was.
Apple and strawberry crumble with condensed milk recipe:
Preparation time: 20min
Baking time: 35-40min
Apples- 3, peeled, cored and cubed
Strawberries- 200gms, washed hulls and quartered.
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Cinnamon powder- 1/2tsp+1/2tsp
Condensed milk- 200gms
Cold Butter- 5tbsp+1tbsp
Almond meal- 1/2 cup
Old fashioned oats- 2tbsp
All purpose flour- 1/4 cup
Icing sugar- 1tbsp
Slivered almonds for garnish- 1tbsp (optional)
- Mix the Cubed apples, strawberries and lemon juice an oven proof dish and mix all to combine.
- Mix together 1tbsp of butter with the condensed milk in a non stick pan and heat the mixture on a low flame for two to three mins. Remove from heat and stir in half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Pour the condensed milk mixture over the apples and strawberry mixture and spread it evenly.
- In a bowl, mix the almond meal, oats, all purpose flour, sugar and the other half tea spoon of cinnamon powder and mix well.
- Rub the cold butter into the almond-flour mixture and mix till the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the almond-flour mixture generously over the apple strawberry mixture, so as to cover completely.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180C for 35-40min or till the crumble topping turns golden brown. Serve hot or warm.