I am back with not one, but two recipes this time. One is a vegetable pulao but with a variation and the other is a simple yet delicious yoghurt based side dish using radish. In short, you will have recipes for a mouth watering combo meal.
I learnt how to make these two dishes from two different people. The pulao recipe is from my grand mother and the recipe for the raita is from a dear friend. My grandmother, never gave out the recipe to me. But I remember, she used to make pulao this way. I have made a few changes and adapted the recipe to our taste.
This version of Pulao is slightly different from the vegetable pulao that is was posted earlier. This Pulao is slightly richer in taste and aroma. I agree it is slightly time consuming as well but then end result makes the extra effort totally worth it. I assure you, the Pulao that you will get in the end will be rich in taste and aroma. And it goes without saying, that it will be filling as well.
South Indian style vegetable Pulao and Radish raita recipe:
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 20min
For the Pulao:
Basmati rice- 250gms
Mixed vegetables like carrots, french beans, peas, potatoes and cauliflower- 2 cups, chopped into 1" long pieces
Oil or ghee- 3tbsps
Cumin seeds- 1tsp
Bay leaf- 1
Cinnamon- 1" piece
Onion- 1med, cut into strips
Ginger-garlic paste- 1-1/2 tsp
Green chili- 1, slit
Salt to taste
Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
For the ground paste:
Onion- 1small, finely chopped
Poppy seeds- 1 tsp, lightly toasted
Mint leaves- 3tbsp
Fresh or frozen coconut- 3tbsp
Green chili- 1
- Dry roast the rice till slightly browned and fragrant. Wash thoroughly, drain and keep aside.
- Grind all the ingredients listed under the "ground paste" list, along with a little water and keep aside.
- Heat oil or ghee in a thick bottomed pan and add the cumin seeds. Once they turn brown, add the bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and fry till they pop Once they pop
- Add the julienned onions and fry till it turns transcluscent. Add the slit chili, ginger garlic paste and fry for two minutes more.
- Add the chopped vegetables, salt and turmeric fry till the vegetables are half cooked and tender.
- Stir in the ground paste and fry for two more minutes till the raw smell goes.
- Add the washed and drained rice and mix gently. Add 3-1/2 to 4 cups of water and garam masala and cook covered on medium flame till the rice is completely cooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Raita.
For the rash raita:
Radish- 2 med, peeled and grated
Mustard- 1/2 tspn
Hing or asafetida- a pinch
Chili flakes- 1/2 tspn
Kasoori methi- 1tspn
Salt- to taste
Thick yoghurt- 300ml
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat oil in pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they sputter, add the asafetida and fry for a few seconds. Add the chili flakes and fry for a minute more
- Stir in the grated radish and salt and fry till the water is completely evaporated and mixture turns dry. Add the kasoori methi, mix well take off the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Add the yoghurt to the cooled radish mixture and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves serve along with any ride dish of your choice.