I know i have been missing from action for a couple of days now. The past few days has been hectic, exciting, tiring and fun filled. The past few days has been so exciting, simply because it is that time of the year. The time for Christmas, The time to end 2013 and welcome 2014 and the time for our annual trip to India. Oh yes!!! I am all set for Bangalore and I can't tell you how happy and excited I am. The mere thought is seeing my mom, grand mom, baby sis, my niece and my in laws fills me with joy!!
The past few days were spent in fever of anticipation . There was a lot planning, a lot of shopping and a lot more baking done. It seemed like my oven never went cold. I baked ginger biscuits and the Italian Panforte to be given away as edible gifts (the recipe will be posted soon). Apart from these, I also baked this carrot cake.
To me, this cake is one of the best cakes I have baked so far. For an eggless version, this cake is incredibly moist and light. I have made this cake quite a few times now and each time, I have got rave reviews. This dessert gets it sweetness from the carrots and condensed milk and lightly spiced with the flavor of cinnamon. I feel that the use of cinnamon lifts the flavor quotient of the cake to a large extent.
I know that some carrot cake enthusiasts swear by the cream cheese frosting to go with the cake. But I some how prefer the whipped cream. I feel that the whipped cream frosting does not overshadow the taste of the cake and allows the flavors of the cake to shine through. But honestly speaking, this baked goodie does not need any frosting. The can be savored whilst warm by sprinkling some icing sugar on top.
So if you are looking for a delicious, eggless and relatively healthy cake this holiday season, then this cake is the one!!
Carrot cake recipe:
Preparation time- 30min
Baking time: 35min
Makes- 1, 8" cake
All purpose flour- 2 cups or 480ml
Baking powder- 1 tsp
Powdered cinnamon- 1 tsp
Baking soda- 1/2tsp
Salt- a pinch
Butter- 6tbsp, melted
Sweetened condensed milk- 1 tin or 14 Oz
Finely grated carrot- 1 cup
Ground almonds- 1/2cup
Thick butter milk- 1/2 cup
Toasted and slivered almonds to decorate (optional)
For the whipped cream frosting:
whipping cream- 1/2 cup, chilled
Castor sugar- 3tbsp
A dash of vanilla essence.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease an 8"cake pan with butter and line with baking sheet.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Toss the grated carrot and ground almonds and keep aside.
- In another bowl, combine the melted butter, condensed milk, butter milk and vinegar and mix till the mixture is light
- Fold in the flour mixture into the butter milk mixture and mix till well combined.
- Add two tbsp of water if you feel the mixture is dry.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35min or till an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for five min before transferring the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the whipped cream frosting:
- Combine the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla in a chilled bowl and beat till soft peaks form.
- Spread the frosting over the cake and serve immediately.
- I sifted the flour first and then measured.
- You can omit the frosting completely and serve the cake warm with icing sugar on top.