A few days back, we had been on a road trip to Makindu. Makindu is a small town that is located between Nairobi-Mombasa highway. We were there to attend the akhand paath ( continuous recitation of the holy text) at an old but beautiful Gurdwara. It was an amazing road trip. With S's maternal uncle & aunt for company and some breath taking views to drink in, the journey though short was a memorable one.
If the journey was good, the destination was exceptional. Since, I had never visited a Gurdwara before, the whole experience of the akhand paath had a calming effect on me. But what fascinated me most was the langar (the kitchen or canteen in the Gurdwara). I was surprised to see people of all religions and cultures making the prashad (offering). Some had even volunteered to clean the dishes. Watching people of all cultures come together for the service of God and humanity was indeed a humbling experience.
Now coming to these muffins, I had made these muffins for the rod trip. Since we had to make an early start and barely had time for breakfast or coffee, I decided to pack these muffins and some coffee for the onward journey.
These muffins are filled with wholesome goodness of wheat germ, whole wheat, oranges and apples so they make a perfect treat for breakfast, or as that in between meal snack or for a tiny tot's lunch box. Hence, I must say that these muffins simply rock
The recipe for these muffins was adapted from myrecipes.com. I made quite a few changes to make it eggless but despite all the changes these muffins were as healthy and as tasty as ever.
Orange raisin wheat germ muffins
Preparation time: 25min
Baking time- 20-25min
Makes- approximately a dozen muffins
All pulse flour or maida- 1cup
Whole wheat pastry flour- 1/2 cup
Wheat germ- 1/2 cup, lightly toasted
Baking powder- 1 tsp
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon powder- 1/2tsp
Nutmeg powder- 1/8 tsp
Brown sugar- 1/2 cup
Canola oil- 1/4cup
Freshly squeezed Orange juice- 1/2 cup
Unsweetened apple sauce -1/2cup
Orange zest- 1tspn
Dark raisins- 1/2cup
- Combine the all purpose flour,whole wheaastry flour,baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well and sift twice.
- In another large bowl,combine and the oil, sugar,orange juice, apple sauce and, orange zest and beat well till airy.
- Combine the the wet ingredients with the dry. Stir intheorsnge zest and the raisins and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into greased muffin pan and bakeinthepreheated oven for 20-25mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5min before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- The raisins can be replaced with dried cranberries
- Dust the raisins with 1/2 tsp of flour to prevent them from sink.
- The wheat germ can be replaced with oats.
- the whole wheat flour can be replaced with all purpose flour to make it lighter.