"I want red Pasta!!" Purvi declared one day. Purvi has the habit of recognizing food by it's colours. For instance, she likes white idlies (the ones made with rice and lentils), but she wouldn't prefer brown idlies (rava or semolina idlies). Purvi loves red pasta (the ones with tomatoes in it) but then again, she doesn't like pasta with spinach (read green pasta). Off late, I have even come to notice that she prefers food with Indian flavors. Like she loves anything with Rasam powder, garam masala and Pav bhaji masala. So keeping all of Purvi's preferences in mind, I created this Pasta dish.
This is an extremely simple dish to put together. It uses some everyday ingredients that is easily available in the pantry. And tastes absolutely delicious even without the cheese. This is one of those pasta dishes that makes a great lunch box treat as well. Give this a try. I am sure you will fall in love this as much as Purvi did.
Macaroni with Pav bhaji twist recipe:
Preparation time: 15min
Cooking time- 10min
Macaroni- 1-1/2 cups
oil or butter- 2 tbsp
Bell pepper- 1med, cubed
onion- 1 med sized, chopped fine
Ginger-Garlic paste- 1tsp
Tomatoes- 2 large, blanched and pureed
Salt- to taste
Freshly ground Pepper- 1/4tsp
Pav bhaji masala- 1/2 to1tsp
coriander leaves to garnish
- Cook macaroni according package instructions and keep aside
- Heat oil or butter in a thick bottomed pan. Add the cubed bell pepper fry for a minute and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the chopped onions and fry till they turn pink. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for two to three mins till the raw smell goes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, turmeric, salt, pepper and sugar and sauté for 3-4min more.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni, cubed bell peppers and Pav bhaji masala and mix well.
- Adjust the seasoning. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.