I was going through my previous posts yesterday and I realized that a long time back I had posted a recipe for hasi gojju. You can find that recipe here. In that version of hasi gojju, the ingredients for the ground mixture is roasted before being ground. So that doesn't make the dish completely "hasi" or raw. In this version however, all the ingredients are raw. So this dish is completely raw and yet delicious to taste.
This version of hasi gojju is my mother's recipe. As this dish goes great with both rice and rotis, she makes this dish often. It is one of those quick fix recipes that is a working woman's dream. All you need is some cucumbers or maybe some tomatoes and a little onion if you want some zing and voila this dish is ready. If you feel chopping the cucumbers fine is a tedious job, then just grate it. There not that hard is it?? It just takes about 15min to cake this dish from start to finish. Cool. isn't it??
This is a true blue dish from Karnataka that makes an excellent side dish. Try serving this dish with either piping hot rotis or with rice and rasam. You will surprised as to how gratifying and wholesome this simple dish can be.
Southekayi Hasi gojju Recipe:
Preparation time: 15min
Cooking time- nil
Cucumbers- 3 small or 1 large, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
Tamarind- a small lime sized, soaked and juice extracted
Coconut- 1/3rd cup
Roasted gram- 1tbsp
Cumin seeds- 1tsp
Mustard seeds- 1/2tsp
Salt to taste
Green- 1 to 2
For the seasoning:
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Red chili-1 or 1/2a tsp of red chili flakes
Turmeric- a pinch
Curry leaves- 8-10
- In a blender jar, combine the coconut, jaggery, salt, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, green chili, roasted gram and the tamarind extract and blend to a coarse paste.
- Add the ground paste to the chopped cucumber and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they pop, add the turmeric, asafetida, red chili flakes and the curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds. Once done, add the seasoning to the prepared gojju and serve immediately with hot rice.
- Tomato and onion can also be added to this dish.
- This dish has a very short shelf life. So it has to be consumed almost immediately or has to be refrigerated till further use.