Hakka noodles is perhaps one of the most popular Indo-Chinese creation. A wholesome and nutritious street food that was created by the Hakka immigrants in Kolkata. Hakka noodles is also called as chow mein which literally means, stir fried. This noodle dish, delicious one pot meal that is simple yet gratifying.
As I have mentioned in my earlier posts, Chinese food is S's favourite. He just can't get enough of this cuisine. If it wasn't for S, I would never have leant to cook Chinese the authentic way. Apart from fried rice and cauliflower Manchurian, Hakka noodles is something that I prepare from time to time. It is a simple recipe, with very little cooking time involved. Once the vegetables are chopped, it hardly takes any time to cook this cup. Filled with the goodness of vegetables and whole wheat, this is my go to recipe whenever I have to fix something fast.
This noodle preparation can be cooked either with a variety of vegetables, or bean sprouts or tofu or meat. A colourful and exciting dish, that is perfect for children who shy away from vegetables.
Hakka Noodles recipe:
Preparation time: 20min
Cooking time: 10min
Sesame oil- 2tbsp
Ginger- 1" piece finely chopped
Garlic- 3-4 cloves, finely chopped
Spring onion- 2, whites and greens separated
Carrot- 1 med, cut into thin strips
Green Beans- 6-7, diagonally sliced
Capsicum- 1 small, cut into thin strips
Shredded Cabbage- 3 tbsp.
Light Soya sauce- 1-1/2 tbsp.
Vegetable stock- 1/4cup
Freshly ground black pepper powder- 3/4tsp
Salt to taste
MSG- 1/4tsp (optional)
- Heat plenty of water in a large vessel. When the water comes to a boil, add oil and salt and mix.
- Add the noodles and allow the noodles to cook for 3-4min. When the noodles are almost cooked (al Dante), drain and refresh in cold water.
- Drizzle a tsp of oil and mix well to coat the noodles and keep aside until further use.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large wok or skillet and add the chopped ginger and garlic. Fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add the chopped spring onion white and fry for min.
- Stir in the carrot and beans and fry on high heat for 2-3 min
- Add the shredded cabbage and bell pepper and fry for another two mins.
- Add the soya sauce, vinegar, vegetable stock, MSG, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Stir in the cooked noodles and mix well. Toss for a minute or two and serve hot.