Even though I love pasta dishes, I hardly make them because S doesn't like pasta a lot. The only pasta he really likes is vermicelli. He doesn't like the other varieties because he thinks that they are way too chewy. So this being the reason, I get to make pasta only when S is out of town or when he has an official meeting over lunch. Last Thursday was one of those days. S called up to say that he would be having lunch outside and asked me not to send his lunch. No sooner did he hang up, I just jumped at the opportunity to try this pasta dish.
I have been wanting to try this dish since the time I had first tasted it. I had eaten this dish at one of S's colleagues place and I had instantly fallen in love with the flavours. I just loved the fact that dish was satisfying enough to be a main dish, but you could add more cheese to make it more substantial. With nutrient rich ingredients like spinach, mushrooms and carrots, this dish is packed with proteins, vitamins and fibre. I have cut the fat in this recipe, by reducing the quantity of the cheese. You could add more cheese for a richer version.
Creamy farfalle with Spinach and mushroom recipe:
Preparation time: 20min
Cooking time: 15min
Farfalle- 2 cups
Canned or fresh Mushrooms- 6-8, sliced vertically
Spinach- 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Carrot- 1 med sized, cubed
Onion- 1 small, finely chopped
Paprika powder- 1/2tsp
Garlic- 2 cloves, crushed
Freshly ground pepper- 1/2tsp
Salt to taste
Dried parsley- 1/2tsp
Olive oil- 1tbsp
Cheddar cheese to garnish- optional
For the white sauce:
All purpose flour- 2tsp
Milk- 1 cup
Cheddar cheese- 2tbsp, Grated
- Cook the farfalle as per the package instructions. Drain and refresh in cold water and keep aside
- For the white sauce, heat butter in a pan and add thee all purpose flour.
- Saute till brown and add the milk while mixing continuously.
- Add the cheddar cheese and keep mixing till the mixture thickens. Add salt and Take off the heat.
- Heat oil in another pan in another pan and add the crushed garlic and saute for a min.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Stir in the chopped mushrooms and carrots and fry on high heat for 3-4min
- Add the chopped spinach, salt, paprika powder, sugar and dried parsley and fry for another 3-4min
- Add the cooked pasta and pepper and mix well. Stir in the white sauce, toss and mix.
- Garnish with more cheese if desired and serve immediately.