Vermicelli is a kind of pasta that is made of whole wheat. It is very thin and broken into small bits. And best of all, it is egg free. I think vermicelli is something we Indians consumed for a long time without realizing that it was actually, pasta. Now isn't that funny?
To me, vermicelli is the ultimate comfort food. If you have vermicelli on hand, then you can be assured of a quick breakfast or that quick evening snack. It can either be made with some simple seasoning or it can be dressed up with loads of vegetables and spices. Yes. the beauty of vermicelli is that, it can be cooked in a hundred different ways. Each time tasting different but tasty none the less.
This version of vermicelli is something that I make often. It is something that can be made with minimum effort and it is something that my husband and Purvi love. So whenever I make this, I know they will have this without a fuss. So now you know why this is "the" comfort food for me. Since, vermicelli is made with whole wheat, I can be assured that there is wholesome goodness on my plate.
Vermicelli vegetable upma recipe:
Preparation time: 15min
Cooking time: 10min
Thin, whole wheat Vermicelli- 2 cups
Vegetables like carrots, peas, green beans, potato- 2 cups
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds- 1/2tsp
Hing- A pinch
Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
Green chilli- 1, chopped fine
Ghee or clarified butter- 1tsp
Grated fresh coconut- 1 tbsp (optional)
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat the ghee in a thick bottomed pan. Add the vermicelli and shallow fry till golden brown and keep aside
- Heat oil in the same pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add cumin seeds and fry till they are brown.
- Stir in the hing and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the vegetables and fry on high heat for 2min. Add the turmeric, green chilli and salt and continue frying for 3 to 4 min more
- Add about two and half cups of water and allow the mixture to simmer for a minute.
- Add the fried vermicelli, mix and cook covered for 5minutes.
- Stir in the grated coconut and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with coconut chutney
Pasta love which is hosted by Junia
And to Susan's lovely black and white Wednesday event which is Guest hosted by Sara