Those who follow me on face book, know that I had hosted a get together for about 9 people 10 days back. The dinner was hosted for our friend's mother and sister who had come visiting from Bangalore. Even though I have hosted many dinners and lunches earlier, this one was slightly different. What made this get together special was, our friend's mom and sister are from the same locality in Bangalore as us. So that practically makes us neighbors . is it not? Cooking for them was an extremely pleasurable experience for me. I wanted everything to be perfect and flawless. I chose the menu carefully before going ahead with the invitation.
At first, I had decided to serve Gulab Jamun with Ice cream for desserts. But I decided to bake this cake at the last moment. I had a tin of coconut milk that was lying unopened for many days. Besides that, I was dying to try this recipe from Champa;s blog. But there was one tiny hitch. I did not want the cake with a glaze and I did not have enough time to frost the cake. That is when the idea of serving the cake with raspberry jam hit me. I just sliced the cake in two. Spread some jam and sandwiched it with another slice. Spread some more jam on the top and just sprinkled some desiccated coconut. I had a lot of fun sprinkling the cake as I had Purvi to help. She just could not stop the sprinkling. The cake was simple, decadent and yet full of flavour. When it came to serving the cake to my guests, I was extremely nervous. I waited with bated breath while they (including S) took the first bite of the cake. But it looked like all my apprehensions were unnecessary as they all loved the cake. As a matter of fact, they were surprised that, that the cake was eggless. If I should be thankful to someone, then it should be Champa of Versatile vegetarian kitchen. Do give this cake a try. I am sure you will fall in love with it as much as I did.
Eggless coconut cake recipe:
Preparation time: 30min
Baking time: 1hr
Makes- 1 8" cake and a dozen mini bundt cakes
All purpose flour - 3 cups
Baking Powder - 2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 2/3 cup
Salt - 1 tsp
Unsweetened dessicated coconut - 1 cup+2bsp
Coconut milk - 14 Oz can
Thick Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Canola Oil - 2/3 cup
Cardamom extract or powder - 1/2 tsp
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Raspberry jam- 3tbsp
- Sift the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Mix 1 cup of desiccated coconut and set aside
- In another bowl, mix the coconut milk, oil, sugar, yogurt, sugar, cardamom powder and vanilla extract and whisk well.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and dust the baking pan with oil and flour and set aside.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking pan and bake for 50-60min or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Turn the cake into a wire rack and cool completely.
- Once the cake is cooled, cut the cake horizontally into two slices. Place the bottom half of the plate on a serving plate and spread a tbsp of jam on the cake evenly.
- Cover this with other ha;f of the cake and spread the remaining jam on the cake and sprinkle with grated coconut and serve.
This cake does not brown too much. So you might want to keep a check on that.