Tovve is nothing but dal in Kannada. There are different versions of tovve. There is the normal tovve, then there is the sihi tovve which is sweet and there is huli tovve which, as per the name is sour and spicy. This spicey stew is usually served in auspicious occasions like weddings and festivlas. It makes a delectable accompaniment to both, rice and rotis. Spices like cinnamon, and cloves bring a flavour and aroma of their own while jaggery and coconut add a dash of sweetness to balance out the tangy tangy tamarind.
Huli Tovve Recipe:
Preparation time: 15min
Cooking time: 20min
Toor dal or pigeon peas- 1 small cup
Ridge gourd- 1 large, peeled and cubed
Oil- 1/4 tsp
Tamarind pulp, 2tbsp
Jaggery- 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
For the spice mix:
Channa dal or bengal gram- 1 tbsp
Urad dal- 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds- 3tbsp
Cinnamon- 1" piece
Marathi moggu- 1 (optional. But recommended)
Fenugreek seeds or methio- 1/4 tsp
Red chillies- 4-6, torn
Freshly grated coconut- 4tbsp
For the seasoning:
Ghee or oil- 2tsp
Asafotida or hing- 1 pinch
Curry leaves- 8-10
- Pressure cook, pigeon peas and cubed ridge gourd with oil and turmeric for 5 whistles or till done and keep aside.
- For the spice mix, Heat oil in a separate pan and add the fenugreek seeds and fry till they are brown. Add the cinnamon, cloves and marathi moggu if using and fry for min.
- Add the dals and fry till they turn brown. Stir in the coriander seeds and red chillies and fry for two min till the chillies are crisp.
- Take off the heat allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Grind the mixture to a fine powder in a blender. Later add the grated coconut along with some water and blend to a fine paste.
- Take the cooked dal mixture in a thick bottomed vessel and add the tamarind paste, salt and Jaggery and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the ground mixture and allow the dal to simmer for five min and take off the heat.
- Heat oil in a separate pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they pop, add the curry leaves and hing and saute till the curry leaves turn crisp. Take off the heat and add the seasoning to the prepared tovve and Serve hot with rice