I AM BACK!!! Hope all of you had a great valentines!! After a busy and fun filled trip in Bangalore, I am back to my quite world in Dar. Thanks to my sister's wedding, My days were so busy that I am having a tough time getting adjusted to the quite here. Even though I am missing my folks back home, it feels absolutely great to be back to my space and blogging.
This recipe has been lying in my drafts for a long time now. I have always loved the eating mangoes with custard. When I came across the recipe for Golden yellow from here, I decided to team it up with mangoes and make it an up side down cake. The cake turned out fabulous and it was liked by Purvi and her friends as well. The only thing that was better than the cake itself was the delightful expression on the little girls faces.
Golden Mango upside down cake recipe:
Preparation time: 30min
Baking time: 45min
Makes an 8" round cake
Sliced ripe mango- 2cups
Lemon juice- 1tbsp
Brown sugar- 1/3 cup
For the cake:
Milk- 1 cup or 250ml
Granulated sugar- 3/4 cup
All purpose flour- 1-1/2 cup
Custard powder- 1/2 cup
Baking powder- 2tsp
Baking soda- 1/4tsp
Vanilla extract- 1tsp
Butter- 1/2 cup
- Pour lemon juice over the mango slices and let them stant for 15min.
- Melt butter in an 8" cake pan and add the brown sugar. Cover with mango slices and set aside.
- For the cake, Sift the flour along with the baking powder and baking soda and keep aside.
- Heat milk in a pan and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved and set aside to cool.
- Once the milk has reached room temperature, add the custard powder and vanilla extract and mix.
- Stir in the butter and mix again.
- Pour the prepared milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix well until there are no lumps.
- Pour the batter over the mangoes and bake in a pre heated oven at 180C for 45min or till an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5min. Remove and turn it upside down on a plate. Serve warm.