Rawa idli is a popular south indian Breakfast dish. This is a simpler and quicker version of the traditional south Indian idlies. Here, the semolina or the rawa batter is mixed with vegetables and steam baked. These mouth watering dumplings make healthy and tasty breakfast or brunch option. You don't believe me? Then try it out for yourself :)
Preparation time: 20min
Cooking time- 15min
Makes- 12 idlies
Oil or ghee- 2tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1/2tsp
Channa dal or Bengal gram- 1/2 tsp
Urad dal or black gram- 1/2tsp
Hing or asafotida- 1/4tsp
Green chilli- 1-2, finely chopped
Curry leaves- 10 -12, finely chopped
Coriander leaves- 1tbsp, finely chopped
Carrot- 1, peeled and grated (optional)
Fresh or frozen coconut- 1 tbsp (optional)
Cashewnuts- 12, chopped (optional)
Mildly sour curds- 3 cups
Soda- a pinch
- Dry roast the rawa till brown and fragrant and keep aside.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a wok and add the mustard seeds
- Once they pop add the channa dal and the Urad dal and fry for a min
- Add the chopped cashewnuts and fry till brown
- Add the hing and curry leaves and fry till the curry leaves turn crisp
- Add the turmeric and the green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the rawa and salt and mix thoroughly and turn off the heat.
- Stir in the grated carrot and the coconut. Mix well and cool the mixture completely.
- Add the coriander leaves, Eno and soda to the semolina mixture and mix well.
- Add the curds and beat well.
- Pour the batter into greased idli moulds and steam bake in a pressure cooker or steamer for 10 to 15min
- Serve the idlies hot with chutney of your choice.