For some reason, I had never ventured into making cutlets at home. I am not sure about the reason. Maybe because, I thought cutlets always had to be deep fried and that they were full of fat. Or maybe because, evening snacks are very rare at my place. So when there was this lone beetroot remained in the fridge, it never occurred to me that I could make cutlets from beets as well. After I decided to make beetroot cutlets, I wondered if it could be baked. After confirming from Google that cutlets could also be baked, I decided to "bake" these after all. I must say that these are the best things that I have ever baked. They tasted just like the deep fried cutlets and did not miss the oil one bit. It tasted great with tomato sauce and it tasted even better with the flavored cream cheese.
Beet root cutlet recipe:
Preparation time- 20min
Baking time- 10min
Makes- 10-12 cutlets
Beetroot- 1med sized, peeled and grated
Carrot- 1 med, Peeled and grated
Potatoes- 2 med, boiled, peeled and mashed
Oil- 1 tbsp
Jeera or cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Saunf or fennel seeds- 1/4 tsp
Turmeric or haldi- 1/4tsp
Paprika powder- 1/4tsp
Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
Aamchur powder- 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder- 1/4 tsp
Chaat masala- 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Corn flour- 2 tbsp
Bread crumbs- 3 tbsp or as needed
Chopped onions and coriander leaves to serve
- Heat oil in a wok and add the cumin seeds.
- Once they turn brown, add the fennel seeds and fry for a few secs.
- Add the grated carrot and beets and fry for a min.
- Add the salt and turmeric and fry till all the water is absorbed.
- Add all the paprika powder, chaat masala, coriander powder, and aamchur powder and fry for 2 mins more.
- Stir in the garam masala and mix well and take off the heat.
- Cool the mixture completely and mix along with the mashed potatoes.
- Divide the beet-potato mixture into 10-12 equal sized balls and keep aside.
- Mix the corn flour along with 3-4 tbsp of water and set aside
- Take a ball and press lightly to form a circle.
- Dip the cutlet in the corn flour paste and roll it on the bread crumbs. Repeat the process with all the cutlet balls.
- Arrange the cutlets on a baking sheet lined baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 225C for 5 mins.
- Flip the sides of all the cutlets and bake for another 5-7min more.
- Allow the cutlets to cool slightly and serve with tomato sauce or chutney of your choice.
These cutlets of mine will go straight to Kavi's jingle all the way event
To Julie's Christmas Delicacies event
To midnight Maniac's Meatless monday Event
And to Priya's Fast food not fat food event