So what do you do when hunger pangs strike at 3:30pm and you find 4 idlis in your refrigerator? Make Tava idlis of course!!! That's what happened to me today. I felt ravenous at this odd hour and even that oatmeal cookie or granola could not appease my hunger. I rummaged the refrigerator and found yesterday's idlis staring at me. All of a sudden, I remembered Tarla Dalal's Tava idli recipe. It seemed too tempting so decided to try the recipe at that very moment.
As usual, I tweaked the recipe a bit by adding a few more spices and capsicum. The outcome was fabulous. This dish not only managed to appease my hunger but my little one also liked it and had it for her evening snack. Do give this recipe a try. I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Tawa idli recipe:
Preparation time: 15min
Cooking time: 10min
Left over idlis- 4, chopped in 1" long pieces
Onion- 1, small, chopped fine
Tomato- 2 med, chopped fine
Capsicum- 1 med, cubed
Ginger- 1/2" piece, grated
Oil- 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds or jeera- 1/2tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar- 1/2 tsp (optional)
Green chilli- 1, chopped fine
Paprika powder- 1/4tsp
Turmeric- a pinch
Pav bhaji masala- 1/2 to 1 tsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
Lime juice- 1/2tsp to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- Once it turns brown add the chopped onion and fry till they turn pink.
- Add the green chillies, grated ginger and the chopped capsicum and fry for 2 min
- Add the chopped tomato and fry till the oil separates.
- Add the salt, sugar, turmeric, paprika powder and fry for 2 more mins.
- Stir in the cubed idlies and the pav bhaji masala and fry till the idli pieces are coated with the spice mix.
- Garnish with lemon juice and coriander leaves and serve immediately.