Egg plants are one of my favourite vegetables. I love this vegetable so much that I can have it morning, noon and night without complaining. So you can imagine my excitement when i saw the recipe on Sharmi's passions. I wanted to try this curry since the very moment I read the recipe. As if the recipe wasn't good enough the pictures were equally tempting. So when my vegetable vendor got these fresh baby egg plants yesterday, I decided to make this curry for yesterday's lunch. I tweaked the recipe a bit. Like I substituted the sesame seeds with poppy seeds just to give the curry more body and emulsion and I also added some hing and curry leaves as well. I must say this curry was a huge hit with not only me but with S and as well as my little one. Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe Sharmi.
Egg plant in Peanut sauce recipe:
Preparation time: 20min
Cooking time: 10min
Baby egg plants- about 10, sliced vertically
Onion- 1 med, chopped fine
Tomato- 1, chopped fine
Paprika powder- 1/4tsp
Rasam powder- 1/2tsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Jeera or cumin seeds- 1/2tsp
Asafotida or hing- a pinch
Curry leaves- a few
Dry roast and rind together:
Poppy seeds- 1tsp
Urad dal- 1tsp
Coriander seeds- 1 tsp
Grated coconut- 3tbsp
Red chillies- 2
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once they pop add the cumin seeds and fry till it turns brown.
- Add the hing and curry leaves and fry till the curry leaves turn crisp.
- Add the chopped onion and fry till they are translucent
- Add the tomato and fry for a min.
- Add the salt, rasam powder and the red chilli powder and fry for two more mins or till the mixture is mushy.
- Now add the sliced egg plants and fry for a min. Add 1/4 cup water and cook covered till all the water is evaporated.
- Stir in the ground paste and fry for 5 min.
- Check for salt and take off the heat.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.