Hello all!!! I hope you are all doing well and getting ready for the up coming weekend. As for me, I am still going around with some cold and a bad throat which i can say is a little better. This cold has affected me so badly, that for the past two days, I just cooked some simple meals and slept like and along with Purvi. Today, I got so bored of eating the same old rasam and sambar that I decided to make something a little different but an easy dish at the same time. I had this bunch of spinach that was staring at me for a long time now. I decided to mix it along with the macaroni that was also staring at me for a long time. I must say the results were just spectacular. I guess anything with cheese will taste spectacular.
This recipe has been adapted from the recipegirl.com. I have made quite a few changes to the original recipe by cutting down on the cheese and fat. I did this only because, I had to think of my ailing throat as well. However, I was surprised to see that these changes did not change the flavour of the dish at all. To me this is a new comfort food that healthy as well tasty.
Cheesy macaroni with Spinach recipe
Preparation time: 20min
Cooking time: 10min
Elbow macaroni- 1 cup
Milk- 1 cup
Spinach- 1 cup, tightly packed
Salt to taste
Cheese- 2 slices, torn
All purpose flour- 2tsp
Onion- 1 small, finely chopped
- Cook the macaroni as per the package instructions. Cool and keep aside.
- For the white sauce, heat the butter in a pan and add the all purpose flour.
- Saute for two mins till the mixture bubbles and take off the heat.
- Add the milk gradually while stirring continuously to avoid the formation of lumps.
- Put the pan back on the fire and add the cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and take off the heat.
- Heat oil in another pan and add the chopped onions.
- Fry till they turn pink and add the chopped spinach.
- Saute till the spinach is tender and add the cooked macaroni and the sauce and mix well.
- Check for salt and take off the heat.
- Serve hot as is or with more grated cheese on top.