This is another easy and a popular Chinese dish. This also happens to be one of S's favourite dishes when it comes to Chinese cuisine. This dish can be served both as a starter or it can be paired with fried rice and served as main course as well.
This recipe is adapted from Tarla dalal's easy Chinese cooking. I have made a few changes by including chopped capsicum in the recipe. These little vegetable balls that are soaked in soya sauce based gravy can tickle anybody's tongue. Do give this recipe a try. I am sure you will love it!!
Vegetable Manchurian recipe:
Preparation time- 20-30min
Cooking time- 10min
For the veg balls
Finely chopped cabbage- 1 cup
Grated Carrot- 1/2cup
Spring onion whites- 1-2tbsp
Finely chopped capsicum- 1
Corn flour- 2tbsp
All purpose flour- 2tbsp
Salt to taste
Garlic- 3-4 cloves, finely chopped
Green chilli-1, chopped fine
Oil for deep frying
For the sauce
Garlic- 4-5 cloves finely chopped
Ginger- 1"piece, finely chopped
Soya sauce- 1tbsp
Corn flour- 1 tbsp, dissolved in 3tbsp of water
Salt to taste
Vegetable stock- 1 cup
Spring onion greens to garnish
For the balls:
- Mix all the ingredients except oil in a bowl and mix well.
- Shape spoon fulls of the dough to form lime sized balls. If you find it difficult to shape the balls, then sprinkle a tea spoon or two of water to bind the mixture
- Heat oil in a wok and deep fry the balls till golden brown. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
For the sauce:
- Heat a tbsp of oil in wok and add the chopped ginger and garlic and fry on high heat till the raw smell goes.
- Add the vegetable stock, soya sauce, salt and sugar and allow the mixture to boil for a min.
- Add the corn flour mixture and allow the mixture to simmer for a few min.
- Just before serving, add the vegetable balls to the sauce and boil the mixture for a couple of min and serve immediately.
Note: If the balls disintegrate while frying, then add some more corn flour to the dough and continue to fry.