A belated but a very happy independence day to all of you. Hope you all had a great weekend watching the flag being hoisted, singing the national anthem, and the works. For me, Independence day holds a different meaning all together. It was actually on the 15th of Aug that I and S met and we decided to lose our freedom to each other. Don't you think it is kind of weird to lose your freedom on Independence day ?? :)
Even today after 5years, I still remember how I had waded through the Independence day Parade to meet him. And how I was floored by this guy in white T-shirt and blue Jeans. So you can understand why this day holds a very special place in my heart. I always make something special on the Independence day. So this time, I decided to try out this amazing Paneer curry.
In this curry, home made cottage cheese and toasted cashew nuts are simmered lightly in a rich and buttery onion tomato sauce and spices and further enriched by coconut and poppy seed paste. This delicious curry is sure to please any crowd.
Kaaju Paneer Pasanda recipe:
Preparation time: 20min
Cooking time: 15min
Paneer- 200gm, cubed
Whole Cashews- 25-30
Onion- 1large, Peeled and blanched
Tomatoes- 2, blanched and pureed
Ginger-garlic paste- 1tsp
Fresh grated coconut- 2tbsp
Poppy seeds- 1tbsp, lightly roasted
Cumin seeds or Jeera- 1/2tsp
Coriander seed powder- 1/2tsp
Red chilli powder- 1/2tsp
Green chilli- 1, slit
Garam masala powder- A pinch
Salt- to taste
Cream- 3tbsp or
Skimmed milk powder- 3tbsp
For the seasoning
Cloves- 3, powdered
Cinnamon- 1" piece, powdered
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Shallow fry the paneer cubes in 2tsp of ghee. Drain and keep aside
- Heat another tspn of ghee and shallow fry the cashews and keep aside.
- Grind the blanched onion, coconut and the poppy seeds along with a little water to a fine paste and set aside
- Heat oil in a wok and add the cumin seeds.
- Once it pops, add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the the smell goes
- Add the ground coconut paste and fry for 2 min
- Add the slit green chilli and the pureed tomato and fry for 3-4min
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, sugar, Kasuri methi,coriander seed powder and fry for another 2min
- Add the paneer cubes and cashews and mix gently.
- Add the garam masala and milk and allow the mixture to simmer for 2min.
- Turn off the heat and add the cream or skimmed milk powder and mix well.
- Heat ghee in a separate pan and add the cinnamon and clove powder.
- Fry for a few secs. Take off the heat and add the seasoning to the prepared curry.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Rotis or naan