The ANZAC biscuit. I am sure that every Australian would identify with these biscuits. The word ANZAC is actually an abbreviation for Australia and New Zeland Army corps. It is said that the wives and mothers of the soldiers baked these biscuits and sent them to the soldiers in Turkey. It is interesting to note that these cookies did not contain any eggs or dairy products as they were very difficult to come by during the first wold war.Also, without the egg and butter the biscuits lasted longer.Therefore, these biscuits were the perfect thing to send to the soldiers on the long voyage to Turkey where they were fighting. These Anzac biscuits later became a symbol of the work carried out by the Australian women to keep the Soldiers' morale high. Is'nt this a wonderful legend?
After reading so much about these biscuits, I could not wait to bake these myself. I googled for the recipe and I found one on about.com. I have made some changes by reducing the content of butter and by adding milk. I was very pleased with the result. These biscuits can either be made thin and crisp or thick and chewy. Either ways, I assure you they will taste as good.
ANZAC Biscuits recipe:
Preparation time: 20mins
Baking time- 12-15min
Makes- 20 biscuits
Unsalted butter- 6tbsp
All purpose flour or maida- 1 cup
Oats- 1 cup
Brown sugar- 1 cup
Golden syrup- 2tbsp
Unsweetened desiccated coconut- 1 cup
Baking soda- 1tsp
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the golden syrup and baking soda to the butter and mix well. Take off the heat and keep asid
- In a mixing bowl, mix together, flour, oats, salt and the desiccated coconut.
- Add the melted butter mixture and the milk to the oats and flour mixture and mix well with a wooden spatula.
- Heat the oven and 350F or 180C and line a baking tray with Parchment paper
- Roll about a table spoon of the dough into small balls and flatten them between the palms of your hands.
- Place the flattened dough on the baking tray 4cm apart so that there is room for spreading
- Bake the biscuits for 10-12 min or until golden brow
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and allow them to cool in the baking tray for 5min
- Remove the biscuits from the tray and cool them on a wire rack before storing them in airtight container.