The past few days have been extremely hectic for both me and S as we are moving to new house. Yup!!! We will soon be leaving the house which was our home for four and half years. I had moved into this house just after few months of getting married and made this house my home. There is so much to be done in so little time. The one thing that I have realized over this past few days is that, I am a hoarder. I had never realized that I had collected a huge packing case full of magazines. We really had a tough time sorting them out. So I guess I really don't need to tell you how chaotic my life is right now.
You must be wondering as to what kind of a mad woman can I be to bake these muffins amidst all the chaos. But believe me friends. It is these muffins which is tiding us through the "pick me up breakfasts" that we are having the past few days. Even though, the breakfast is a hurried one, I can at least make sure that I am having a nutritious as well as tasty one. So here goes the recipe
Apple oatmeal streusel muffin recipe:
Preparation time: 20min
Baking time- 25min
Makes- 12 muffins
For the muffins:
Quaker oats- 1-1/2 cup
All purpose flour- 1-1/4 cup
Thick buttermilk- 1/2 cup
Unsweetened apple sauce- 1cup
Sugar- 1/3 cup
Baking powder- 2tsp
Baking soda- 1/4tsp
Nutmeg powder- 1/4tsp
Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
Dried currants- 1/2 cup
Butter- to grease the pan
For the streusel topping
Quaker oats- 1/4cup
All purpose flour-1/4 cup
Brown sugar- 1/4 cup
- Heat the oven at 200C or 400F
- Line 10 to 12 muffin cups with paper baking cups or grease the bottoms only with butter
- For the muffins, combine the all purpose flour, salt, nutmeg powder, baking powder and baking soda and sift once
- Add the oats and sugar to the flour mixture and mix well
- In a separate bowl, combine, butter milk, apple puree, vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk-Apple puree mixture to the dried ingredients and mix just until the ingredients are well combined.
- Fold in the dried currants mix gently
- Fill the prepared muffin cups till 2/3 full
- For the streusel topping, combine the dry ingredients and cut in the chilled butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the muffin batter and pat gently.
- Bake for 25 to 30 min till golden brown or till an inserted skewer comes out clean/
- Cool on wire racks and serve warm.
These muffins are my contribution to Heather's WWC-cooking with Spelt or Oats event which was started by Sanjeeta