Urad dal palak. As the name indicates, it is a lentil curry that is prepared using split black lentils and spinach. I stumbled on this humble and fuss free recipe in Ruchi Mehta's Punjabi Khana. I have always used moong or masoor dal to make currys. But when I saw that this recipe used Urad dal, I could not resist trying out this out. The result was a simple yet creamy delectable dal that goes great with either rice or rotis.
Urad dal Palak recipe
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 15min
Urad dal or split black gram- 1 cup
Spinach- 1 large bunch, washed and chopped
Onion- 1 large, chopped fine
Tomatoes- 2, chopped fine
Ginger- Garlic paste- 1tsp
Green chilli- 1 slit
Cumin seeds or Jeera- 1tsp
Red chilli powder- 1/2tsp
Coriander powder- 1/2tsp
Salt to taste
Garam masala- 1/4tsp
Kasoori methi- 1/2tsp
Oil or ghee- 1tbsp
Coriander to Garnish- 1tbsp
Butter- 1 tbsp (optional)
- Wash and pressure cook the dal along with the chopped spinach for 4-5 whistles till done.
- Heat oil or ghee in a wok and add the cumin seeds
- Once they turn brown, add the onion and fry till transparent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and the slit green chilli and saute till the raw smell goes
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for a min.
- Add the turmeric powder, Coriander powder, red chilli powder, salt and sugar and fry for 2 more min
- stir in the cooked dal and spinach mixture and mix well.
- Add about half cup of water, kasoori methi and garam masala to the dal and simmer on a low flame for 5min.
- Take off the heat. Garnish with coriander leaves and butter and serve hot with rice or rotis.
This recipe is my contribution to Aipi and Priya's Tuesday Book marked recipe event
Today, I woke to the fact that I have become a little too lazy or buzy in accepting the awards that has been so lovingly passed over to me by my loving blogger friends. I would want to accept all of these awards today and share with all of my well deserving blogging friends.
Anu shantanu of Bhalo Khabo has passed on not 1 not 2 but seven awards to me. If have not visited her blog as yet, then you must for some authentic bengali recipes
Shobha of food mazaa passed on this cool trophy
And last but not the least, I have been conferred the "Lovely blog award" by tahemeem and Priya and "the stylish blog award by Priya. Thanks a lot guys!!!