Tawa Pulao is a popular street food of Mumbai. Even through I have never tasted this on the streets, I have heard and read a lot about his. The first time I heard about this was on Sanjeev Kapoor's show, Khana Khazana. Despite being a street food, there is nothing junk about this rice. It is wholesome with all goodness of vegetables and filling. The fact that it takes just a few minutes to conjure this rice is an added bonus.
Tawa Pulao recipe
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time- 15min
Steamed rice- 2 cups
Onion- 1, finely chopped
Tomatoes- 2 large, finely chopped
Green beans- 8-10, chopped into 1" piece
Fresh or frozen peas- 1/2 cup
Cauliflower- 10-12 florets, bleanched
Cumin seeds- 1/ 2 tsp
Ghee- 1 tbsp
salt- to taste
Pav bhaji masala- 1tsp
Red chilli powder- 1/2tsp
Green chilli- 1 slit
Kasoori methi- 1/2tsp
Ginger-garlic paste- 1tsp
Lime juice- 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a wok and add the cumin seeds.
- Once they turn brown, add the onion and the slit green chilli and fry till onion turn pink.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for two min
- Add the tomatoes and fry till they become soft
- Add the carrot, green beans and peas and fry for 3-4 min.
- Sprinkle some water, cover and let the vegetables cook for 2 min
- Add the turmeric, red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, Kasoori methi, salt and sugar and fry for 3 min
- Add the cooked rice and ghee and mix well.
- Take off the heat and stir in the lime juice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and sever hot with Raita of your choice.
- Take off the heat and