Happy Mother's day everyone!!! This post is specially dedicated to my mom, my MIL and all the other lovely mothers who dedicate each day for the betterment of their and sometimes other children as well. Honestly, what would we do without mothers. Whoever has framed the quote "God created mothers because he could be everywhere" could not have said it better. Hence to celebrate my second year of motherhood and to honor all the mothers, I decided to bake these muffins today.
These muffins have been on my mind for quite sometime now. Especially because, Purvi loves chocolates (SURPRISE!!!) and she loves oranges. Even I love to occasionally indulge in the orange chocolate bars that S gets at times. I found the recipe for these wonderful muffins on Honest cooking.com. The recipe is from Tamara Novacoviç. You can find the original recipe here. I have made some changes to make the muffins eggless. I could make out the muffins would turnout great by looking at the batter itself. These muffins came out wonderfully moist and dense. My little one, couldn't stop munching on it. The half eaten muffin that you see in the picture is actually hers. I loved this these muffins so much that I would want to bake this with one cup of whole wheat flour the next time.
Orange and chocolate muffins
Preparation time- 20mins
Baking time- 25 min
Yields- 12 muffins
All purpose flour- 2-1/2 cups
Baking powder- 1tsp
Baking soda- 1/2tsp
Cooking chocolate- 3/4 cup, grated
Butter- 1/2 cup+2tbsp for greasing
Brown sugar- 1/2 cup
Juice of 2 oranges- 1/2 to 3/4 cup
Thick butter milk- 1 cup
Candied fruit peel- 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence- 2tsp
- Melt butter and grated cooking chocolate in a double boiler and keep it aside
- Sift the all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- Take the butter milk and sugar in a bowl and mix till well blended
- Add the orange juice, the melted butter-chocolate mixture and the vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the sifted flour mixture and fold in the candied peel.
- Gently mix the ingredients until well combined and the batter is thick and chunky. Do not over mix
- Grease the muffin pan with butter and drop spoonfuls of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 25-30 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins on a wire rack for 10mins and serve.