S has gone out of town for four days. That means, I have to do some chores like locking the gate and the front door of the house, picking up Purvi's strewn toys, having to get up at 6:30Am to unlock the gate and God knows what else. But on the brighter side, it also means not having to worry about his lunch box, or not having to repeatedly ask him to turn out the TV before 10;00 PM. (I know I can be a nag). And the best part, I can try out some new recipes, which otherwise I would not be able to try out. And this Mac and cheese is one of them.
I know this dish needs no introduction. But I think I am one among those very few who got introduced to this dish very recently. Nope I had never tasted Mac and cheese before today. Thanks to blogging, I have been introduced to a gamut of new cuisines and in turn new cultures. I read and saw so many Mac and cheese recipes that I just had to try this.
I think there is something about cheese that makes you feel pampered. Be it any form of cheese, it never fails to leave you satiated. And I feel Macaroni and cheese is the mother of all the cheese dishes. There is this crusty bread exterior, the chewy macaroni and then there is an explosion of warm cheese. mmmmm. It is like tasting heaven in every bite.
Macaroni and cheese recipe
Preparation time- 25mins
Baking time- 15mins
Elbow macaroni- 1-1/2 cups
Milk- 3 cups
Cheese cubes- 4
Mozzarella cheese- 4 tbsp
Bread slices- 3, crust removed and crumbled to form bread crumbs
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper powder- 1/2tsp
Red chilli powder- 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg powder- 1/4tsp
All purpose flour- 3tbsp
Basil or mint leaves to garnish- optional
- Melt one tbsp of butter in a pan and add this to the bread crumbs. Mix well and set aside
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions and keep aside
- Heat the remaining butter in a pan and add the All purpose flour and saute till it turns brown.
- Add the milk while stirring continuously. Keep mixing till the mixture thickens.
- Take off the heat and add the cheese cubes, salt, pepper, red chilli powder, nutmeg powder and mix till the cheese melts.
- Return the mixture to the heat and let it simmer for 2 more min.
- Grease a baking dish with some butter and spread the cooked macaroni evenly.
- Pour the cheese sauce on the macaroni and sprinkle some grated mozzarella cheese.
- Top it with the buttered bread crumbs and bake in a preheat oven at 220C for 15 to 20 mins or till the bread crumbs turn brown.
- Serve hot garnished with basil or mint leaves.