Vegetable Kadhai. A dish that never fails to please a crowd. A wonderful medley of vegetables simmered in spicy and rich tomato gravy. Despite all these wonderful qualities of the curry, I do not prefer to have this as an everyday curry. It is way too rich with all the cream and fat. Apart from this, it is also very time consuming. I make onion, tomato and cashew pastes separately for this. All in all it was a long process.
All this became a thing of the past after reading this recipe on Aipi's wonderful space. I made veg kadhai once with some minor tweaks and since then it has become a favourite with S. The best part about thisis that, it can be conjured in mins. Veg kadhai can't get any simpler than this can it?
Vegetable Kadhai recipe:
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15mins
Carrot- 1large, chopped
Green beans- 10-12, chopped
Cauliflower- 8-10 florets, blanched in hot water and drained
Potato- 1 small, cubed
Onion- 1 large, chopped fine
Tomatoes- 2 large, chopped
Cashews- about 15, broken into pieces and soaked in hot water for 30mins
Ginger-garlic paste- 1tsp
Green chilli- 1, slit
Red chilli powder- 1/4tsp
Coriander seed powder- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4tsp
Salt to taste
Garam masala- a large pinch
Jeera or cumin- 1 tsp
Skimmed or whole milk powder- 2tbsp
Kasoori methi- 1/4tsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Parboil all the vegetables except cauliflower till three fourth done and keep aside
- Cook the onion and tomatoe along with a little water for 10mins until tender. Cool, add the cashews and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a wok and add the cumin seeds.
- Once they turn brown, add the ginger-garlic paste saute till the raw smell goes.
- Add the ground paste and fry for 3-4 mins
- Add the turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander seed powder, salt, sugar and fry for 2 more mins
- Add the cooked vegetables and the garam masala and mix
- Add the milk powder and some water and simmer for a couple of mins more
- Add the kasoori methi and take off the heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rotis