It's rainy season in my part of the world. I feel there is something about the rains that makes you want to get pampered. It was exactly how I felt after it rained the whole day yesterday. As luck would have it I had some fresh home made paneer and some fresh spinach. So I decided to put these two together to create this traditional green curry.
Palak paneer is a rich, smooth, creamy curry where Indian cheese si simmered in onion, tomato and spinach based curry and moderately spiced. This smooth, creamy consistency of the gravy, and melt in the mouth paneer and subtle flavour of the spices that goes into makeing this curry, issure to leave you satisfied. This makes an ideal accompaniment to rotis, naan or Steamed rice
Palak Paneer recipe:
Preparation time- 30 mins
Cooking time: 20mins
Onion- 2 med, blanced and pureed
Tomato- 1 large- blanched and pureed
Cashew paste- 1/4 cup (3tbsp)
Green chilli-1, slit
Coriander powder- 1/2tsp
Garam masala- 1/2tsp
Jeera or cumin seeds- 1tsp
Chilli powder- 1/4tsp
Ghee or oil- 2 tbsp
Cream- 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Cinnamon- 1", powdered
Cloves- 3, powdered
- Blanch or pressure cook the spinach for 1 whistle. Cool and grind to a smooth paste and keep aside
- Make a paste of the ginger, garlic and capsicum and keep aside
- Heat a tbsp of ghee in a pan and saute the paneer cubes till brown and set aside
- Heat another tbsp of ghee in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- Once they pop, add the onion paste and the green chillies and fry for 2 min
- Add the ginger-garlic-capsicum paste and fry till the raw smell goes
- Add the blended tomato puree and fry till the raw smell goes
- Then add the pureed spinach and saute for 2-3 mins more
- Stir in the cashewnut paste and a little water and stir briskly
- Add the turmeric, salt, coriander powder, garam masala, chillipowder and cook for half a min
- Add the fried paneer cubes. Mix and let it simmer for a min more
- In another pan, add the remaining tbsp of ghee and add the powdered cinnamon and clove and saute for a min.
- Add this seasoning to the palak paneer and mix thoroughly.
- Take off the heat, Garnish with lemon wedges and serve hot with roti or Naan