The first time I tasted Nutella was I guess two years back. My sister had got a jar of Nutella all the way from Manipal and made sandwiches for breakfast. Now chocolate for breakfast was and is really not my thing. I remember telling my sister that I would not have that nutella thing for breakfast. My poor sis was so disappointed.
After that episode, I had completely forgotten about Nutella. Until recently, when the whole food blogosphere was celebrating the world Nutella day. I was surprised to see that Nutella was being used to bake or cook a Gamut of dishes. Now that was intriguing. Even though I did not like nutella to be spread on bread, I wouldn't mind having this in a cookie, or a fudge or a smoothie. So there I was buying a jar of nutella on my recent shopping trip. I searched a whole lot of recipes before rounding up on this cookie recipe. Changed the recipe a bit to make it eggless and voila!! The cookie was ready. The cookies turned out very well. It had the right crunch and the mild chocolatey flavour. and ofcourse the goodness of oats. I am planning to make these cookies again with whole wheat flour the next time. It's that good!!
Oatmeal, nutella cookies recipe:
Preparation time: 30mins
Baking time: 15min
Makes- 20 cookies
All purpose flour- 1 cup
Quick cooking oats- 1-1/2 cups
Sugar- 1 cup
Butter- 1/2 cup or 8 tbsp, softened
Baking powder- 1tsp
Almonds or walnuts- 1 cup, chopped
Egg-1 or egg replacer
Nutmeg powder- 1/2tsp
- In a bowl, beat sugar and butter till fluffy.
- Add the egg or egg replacer and beat again
- Add the nutella, vanilla and beat till well mixed
- In another bowl, mix the flour, oats, salt and nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time to the butter-nutella mixture and mix.
- Fold in the nuts and refrigerate for 10 mins
- Shape the dough into cookies and place them an inch apart from each other on a baking sheet
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 15min or till brown.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
These cookies are my submission to MizHelen's full plate thursday