The past few days have been busy enough to keep me away from the blogging world. Since S had his easter break, we were out of the house most of the time. When most of our friends have gone on short trips, we just decided to stay back because we felt that the rainy season is just not right to travel with a tiny tot. We just spent the past few days loitering around the malls or just catching up on some movies at home. It was pure bliss.
Coming to this recipe, this is a low fat version of Sanjeev Kapoors recipe. The original recipe involved deep frying the egg plants and onions. All though I would enjoy the deep fried version once in while, I would prefer having the low fat version for the every curry. I have made some small changes here and there. Despite the low fat and the changes, the Kulzhambu tasted just as great. This serves as a great accompaniment to both rice and rotis. But I am a wee bit partial to rice. ;)
Coconut Khara Kulzhambu Recipe
Preparation time: 20mins
Cooking time: 20mins
Small Eggplants: 6-8
Onion- 1 med, chopped fine
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Tamarind pulp- 1-1/2tbsp
For the masala paste
Channa dal- 2tbsp
Dried red chillies- 3-4
Coriander seeds- 1 tbsp
Cinnamon- 1" piece
Poppy seeds- 1 tbsp
Coconut- 1/2 cup
- Slit the eggplants into four without cutting through and keeping the stem intact
- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil in a pan and add the cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and fry for a min.
- Once the cloves and cardamom puff up, add the channa dal and coriander seeds and fry for amin
- Add the poppy seeds and fry till it is browned and fragrant
- Add the coconut and saute for a min more
- Cool the mixture completely and grind to a fine paste along with a little water
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a separate pan, and add the mustard seeds.
- Once they pop, add the curry leaves and hing and fry till the curry leaves turn crisp.
- Add the onion and fry till they are tender
- Add the Slit eggplants and fry for 2 mins
- Add the tamarind pulp, salt and some water. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Stir in the ground paste and mix well.
- Simmer the curry for 15mins till the Egg plants are well cooked.
- Take off the heat and serve hot with rice or rotis.