Yesterday, I was feeling like baking a bread. But at the same time, I was in no mood to do all the kneading part. Weird huh?? I just wanted something quick and at the same time great tasting bread. I searched all the baking books I had and I found this exotic bread recipe in Muffins and breads book.
This soft and crumbly bread is really quick to prepare and it tastes great with just the right amount of sweetness laced with the flavour cinnamon. The bread was ready by tea time. I? had mine with some apricot Jam and it tasted just divine
Barbados coconut bread recipe:
Preparation time: 20mins
Baking time: 1hr
Coconut- 2cups+ 1/3cup
All purpose flour- 1-1/2 cup
Whole wheat four- 1 cup
Brown sugar- 3/4cup, powdered
Thick butter milk- 1-1/4cup
Cinnamon powder- 1tsp
Butter- 6tbsp, melted
Baking powder- 2tsp
Vanilla extract- 1tsp
Coconut extract- 2tsp
- In a large bowl, combine the All Purpose flour, wheat flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinamon powder and sift once so that the ingredients are well combined
- Toss 2 cups of shredded coconut along with the sifted ingredients and mix.
- In another bowl, combine the butter milk, butter,vanilla essence and coconut extract and mix well
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix till all the ingredients are just well combined. DO not over mix
- Preheat the oven at 180C and grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan.
- Put the prepared dough into the greased pan and top with the remaining 1/3 cup of coconut and bake for an hour or till an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
P. S. I did not have coconut extract on hand. So just combined 1tsp of coconut milk with 1 tsp water.
This bread of mine is my contribution to Helen's Full plate Thursday