Haal (milk) Kootu is another side dish that is cooked for everyday meals. However, I don't make this often as S does'nt favour this kootu much. Today however, S did'nt come home for lunch and I took the chance to make this delicious gravy. It does'nt take too much time or ingredients to make this tasty side dish. This milk infused peppery kootu, when combined with rice can make any meal a hearty one :)
Heerekai haal kootu recipe:
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ridge gourd-2, peeled, cubed and par boiled
Milk- 1 cup
Urad dal or black gram- 2tbsp
Pepper corns- 6-8
Red chillies- 2-3
Coconut- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
Ghee or oil- 2 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1tsp
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Hing- 1big pinch
- Heat 1/2 a tsp of oil in a pan and add the rice, urad dal and pepper corns and frey till the dal turns brown.
- Add the red chillies and fry till they are crisp and Take off the heat.
- Cool completely and grind the fried mixture along with the coconut and some water to a fine paste.
- Add the ground paste and some water to the cooked ridge gourd and boil for a min
- Add salt, Jaggery and milk and simmer for 5 mins more
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once they pop, add the curry leaves and hing.
- Fry for min and add the seasoning to the boiling kootu
- Take off the heat and serve hot with steamed rice
P.S: Vegetables like coyote squash or white pumpkin an be used for this recipe