Off late, I have become a big fan of corn meal. So much so that, I have ended up with 3kilos of corn meal lying in my pantry now. Earlier I used to use cornmeal only to bake breakfast muffins. But now, I am looking for other recipes that uses corn meal. I have quite a few recipes listed now. This recipe,however, appealed to me the most. I found this recipe on epicurious.com.
The recipe seemed simple and easy to put together. But despite all this,I never thought that the cookies would turn out this perfect. I was pleasantly surprised to be proved wrong. The cookies were incredibly light, buttery with the zest of lemon. This recipe is surely for keeps and I'm sure I will be baking this often.
Cornmeal cookies recipe:
Preparation time: 20mins
Baking time- 20mins
Makes- 20 cookies
All-purpose flour-2/3 cup
Yellow cornmeal- 1/4 cup
Cornstarch- 2 tbsp
Unsalted butter- 1stick or 8 tbsp, softened
Pure vanilla extract-1/2tsp
Grated lemon zest- 1tsp
Granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Mix the All purposee flour, Salt, corn meal and cornstarch in a bowl
- Blend the butter, lemon zest, vanilla extract, milk and the confectioners sugar in a food processor until creamy
- Then add the flour mixture and pulse until the dough just comes together.
- Scrape out the dough on to a floured surface and knead for two mins
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thickness.
- Cut out as many rounds as possible using a cookie cutter and transfer to an ungreased baking sheet
- Reroll scraps and cut out more rounds.
- Sprinkle sugar granules on top and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 15 to 20 mins or till the edges are browned.
- Transfer to a rack and cool.
P.S- I have tweaked the recipe a little bit by adding milk. You can omit this if you want to. Happy Baking :)