Tovve aka the south Indian dal is an ultimate comfort food for me. I really don't know why I didn't post this earlier when I make this at least once in every week.
This recipe uses very few simple ingredients to create this heavenly and heart warming side dish for rice or rotis. Lightly spiced moong dal and the ridge gourd combination is a match made in heaven. The addition of lime, lends a zesty flavour to the dal.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Moongdal or Tur dal or masoor dal or a combo any of these dal- 1 cup
Ridge gourd- 1 large, cubed and par boiled
Coconut- 1 tbsp (optional)
Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar- 1 tsp
Juice of 1/2 lime
Coriander to garnish
For the seasoning:
Oil or ghee- 2 tsp
Mustard- 1/2 tsp
Jeera- 1/2 tsp
Hing- A pinch
Green chilli- 1, finely chopped
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Pressure cook the dal or dals along with turmeric and 1/4tsp of oil for 5-6 whistles or till done and keep it aside.
- Add the cooked ridge gourd and some water to the dal and bring the miture to a boil on a low flame.
- Add the salt, sugar and coconut and boil for 1 more min and take off the heat.
- For the seasoning, heat oil or ghee in a pan and add the mustard seeds
- Once they pop, add the jeera and rey till they turn brown
- Add the hing and the curry leaves and green chillies and fry for a min
- Add the seasoning mixture to the dal and mix.
- Garnish with lime juice and coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or rotis.
P.S. I have used ridge gourd for this recipe. You can use other vegetables like coyote squash, carrots, cabbage or just tomatoes.