This is another recipe from Asha Khatau's Dlectable desserts book. Initially, I was a little skeptical about this recipe.Firstly because, the whole recipe seemed to exotic and fancy to me. And secondly, I had never tasted Pina colada (drink) before, and I was not sure if the coconut milk and the pineapple would go well together. There was one part of me which was reluctant to try the recipe and there was this other part of me who wanted to try out this exotic tasting cake. Eventually, with each passing word the adventurer part of me won. And I am glad that it did because I was completely blown over by the taste. It had just the right amount of sweetness. It was actually an elegant and delectable dessert. And moreover, after the cake was complete, I did not find it fancy either :)
Pina colada cake recipe:
Preparation time: 40min
Sugar- 1/4 cup dissolved in 1/2 cup of water
Lemon juice- 1tbsp
For Pina colada frosting:
Chopped Pine apple- 1cup
Coconut milk- 1 cup
Corn flour- 2tbsp
Powdered sugar- 2tbsp
Whipping cream- 1 cup
Lemon or Pine apple essence- 1 tsp
A few Pieces of Pine apple to Garnish
- Slice the cake horizontally into two parts.
- Place the top half down, cut side up on a serving plate.
- Mix sugar, water and lime juice and soak the cake in this syrup
For the Frosting:
- In a small pan, mix coconut milk, sugar and corn flour.
- Heat on a low flame till the mixture is thick
- Remove and cool completely.
- Whip the cream till fluffy and add the lemon essence
- Fold the pine apple pieces and thickened coconut cream.
- To frost the cake, pour half of the frosting to the soaked cake.
- Sandwich it with the other half and top it up with the remaining frosting
- Garnish with pine apple pieces and chill until ready to serve.
P.S.For the sponge cake, I have used the recipe from DK's Chefinyou.com. You can however, make the sponge cake according to your recipe. For the syrup mixture, you can use 1/4 cup of rum instead of water.
This recipe will go straight to Priya's Best western desserts event.
And also to Nancy's Your best recipe event