Hello All!!! I'm back. Gosh!!! It sure feels good to be back after all these days. I had never realized that I would miss my virtual world/ kitchen as much as I missed my real one ;). I can't believe that only four days back I was in Bangalore struggling with the packing and now I'm on the other end of the Indian ocean.
As I am still in the process of settling down, I am not able to cook any elaborate meals. For the past three days, it has only been rasam and sambar. Today however, I decided to make kootu. I used to make kootu earlier but a little differently. This recipe for kootu was given to me by my ajji (grandma) during my visit. I must say that this is by far the best recipe for kootu. This gravy is so full of flavour that it sure to warm your mind, body and soul.
Preparation time: 20mins
Cooking time:15 mins
2 cups of vegetables like carrot, beans, peas, potato, ridge gourd, cubed
Toor dal- 1 cup, pressure cooked along with a tsp of oil and a pinch of turmeric
Ground nuts- a handful
Poppy seeds- 1tbsp, toasted till fragrant and brown.
Urad dal- 1tbsp
Channa dal- 1/2tbsp
Coriander seeds- 1/2tbsp
Pepper corn- 6-8
Cinnamon- 1” piece
Kashmiri Red chillies- 2
Oil- ½ tsp
Fresh grated Coconut- 3 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Mustard seeds- 1tsp
Ghee/ oil- 2tsp
Hing- a big pinch
Curry leaves- 1sprig
- Par boil the vegetables along with the groundnuts and keep aside.
- Heat ½ tsp of oil in a pan and add the pepper corn and cinnamon and fry for a min.
- Add the urad dal and channa dal and fry till brown
- Add the coriander seeds and sauté for a min more.
- Add the red chillies and fry till they are crisp.
- Take off the heat, cool and grind the mixture, along with the roasted poppy seeds to a fine powder.
- Add the shredded coconut and water and grind to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed vessel, mix the boiled vegetables along with the cooked dal.
- Add the ground paste and some water and bring the mixture to a boil on a low flame.
- Add salt and jaggery and boil for some more time. Take off the heat and keep aside.
- For the seasoning, heat 2tsp of ghee in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once they pop, add the hing and curry leaves.
- Saute till the curry leaves are crisp.
- Remove from fire and add the seasoning to the kootu.
- Serve hot with rice and papad