Till a few days back, I used to think that baking bread at home was just a waste of time and precious energy. Infact, whenever my grandfather would say that he would bake wonderful milk breads years ago, I would ask him if breads were not available near their place at that time. He would say that eating home baked bread had a different kind of pleasure. To which my reply would be, a bread is a bread. Home-made or store brought. And anyways, who would want to spend the entire day kneading away, when you can get white bread at every corner store??
All these views and assumptions changed after I saw this bread recipe in a book called "The natural baby food cook book" by Margaret Elizabeth Kenda and Phyllis S Williams. I found this book in a second hand book shop. It was actually this recipe that made me buy the book. This bread is much more than the normal whole wheat bread. It has all the necessary ingredients that can make a bread wholesome, nutritious and power packed. I have made some minor changes in the recipe to suit my pantry requirements.
This bread can be consumed by children and adults alike. I assure this has become our "family bread". Try baking this. I'm sure it will become your family's as well.
Family bread recipe:
Preparation time- 3hrs
Baking time: 50 mins
Makes- 2 loaves
Dry yeast- 1 package or 1-1/2tbsp
Luke warm water- 1 cup
Brown Sugar- 2 tbsp
Warmed milk- 3 cups
Salt to taste
Oil- 2-3 tbsp
Whole wheat flour- 7 cups
Soy flour- 1 cup
Skimmed milk or whole milk powder- 1/4 cup
Rolled Oats- 1/4 cup
Poppy seeds- 2 tbsp
Sesame seeds- 1 tbsp
- Mix dry yeast water and brown sugar and let it stand in a warm place for 45 mins
- Mix the whole wheat flour, Milk powder, soy flour, rolled oats, poppy seeds sesame seeds and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a hole in the center and add the frothy yeast mixture and milk and mix thoroughly.
- Knead the dough vigorously on a clean floured surface for 15 too 20 mins or till the dough is smooth and slightly sticky.
- Cover and let it rise in a warm place for one hour.
- Once the dough has risen to double the size, punch the dough and knead again for 5 mins and Place it , covered on a floured surface for 10-15 mins
- Shape the dough into loaves and place it in a greased loaf pan.
- Let it rise covered for 1hour ina warm place.
- Bake at 200C for 20mins and then at 150 C for 30 mins.
- Remove from pans immediately and let it cool on wire racks and store in air tight containers.
This recipe will go straight to Pari's Cooking with bread event