Akki rotti aka a flat bread made out of rice flour is a popular karnataka dish. This is my favourite breakfast dish. Next to masala dosa ofcourse. I am yet to come across a kannadiga who does not like this dish. This versatile flat bread can be made in a number of ways. You can make it according to the recipe given below or you can go ahead and add veggies like grated carrots, or greens like methi and dill . No matter how you make it I assure you it will come out as tasty.
Akki rotti recipe:
Preparation time- 20mins
Cooking time 15mins
Makes 6 rotis
Rice flour- 2cups
Onion- 3 large, chopped fine
Jeera or cumin- 1-1/2 tsp
Green chillies-2, finely chopped
Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp, chopped
Fresh grated Coconut- 2tbsp (optional)
Salt to taste
Oil to shallow fry
- In a bowl, mix the rice flour, onion, jeera, green chillies, coriander leaves, coconut and salt.
- Add water gradually and make a smooth but firm dough.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and keep aside
- Take an iron skillet or a wok and smear some oil
- Take a portion of the dough and place it in the centre of the skillet or wok.
- Wet your hands in alittle water and pat it evenly with your fingers to make a round roti.
- Make 3-4 holes on the roti and pour a tspn of oil around the circumference of the roti and transfer the skillet to the stove.
- Cook the roti on a medium flame 2-3 mins or till done.
- Take off the heat and serve hot with butter, ghee or chutney of your choice.
P.S. I would suggest using two skillets or wok to make this roti. When one roti is being cooked, you can pat the dough on another skillet. Remove the cooked rotti from the skillet and hold it under running water or dip it in a large vessel containing cold water. This way the skillet/ wok will be cool enough for another roti