The credit for this recipe goes to my MIL. Since S loves this curry, I asked her for the recipe the other day. Sutta/ Suttida badanekayi mosaru bajji or Roasted egg plant in curd gravy is an easy and tasty recipe. Once the egg plant is roasted, it only takes about 15 mins to make this dish. The roasted and mashed eggplant combined with yogurt and flavoured with coconut and mustard, makes an excellent side dish or a dip. Whatever you choose to have it with, it sure is a culinary bliss.
Sutta badanekayi mosaru bajji recipe:
Preparation and cookin time: 30 mins
Eggplant- 1 large
Thick sour yogurt- 1 cup
Fresh grated coconut- 3tbspn
Red chillies-2 or 1 green chilli
Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
Oil- 2 tsp
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Red chilli- 1. torn and deseeded
- Smear some oil on the egg plant and roast over low heat. Keep rotating the brinjal to ensure even roasting. Once the eggplant is completely black, take off the heat and sprinkle some water and allow the egg plant to cool. Peel the skin, mash the pulp and keep aside.
- Grind the coconut, chillies, and mustard to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Add the ground mixture to the mashed eggplant and mix.
- Add salt and yogurt and mix again.
- Heat oil in a pan and Add the mustard seeds.
- Once it pops, add the hing and curry leaves and fry for few secs.
- Add the torn red chilli and add the seasoning to the egg plant mixture and serve immediately.
This is my entry for Aipi's book marked events