This is one of my favourite snacks. Hundreds have been the number of times when I have had this during my school days. Despite this being my favourite snack, I really don't know why did not make this before. When I was raking my brains for an easy snack for Diwali, S suggested that I make this. An easy breezy and a hassle free recipe. Goes great with a cup of coffee or tea. So here goes the recipe.
Spicy puffed rice recipe:
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time 15 mins
Puffed rice-10 cups
Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
Mustard seeds- 1tsp
Red chillies- 2
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
Peanuts- 1/2 cup
Roasted gram/ Dalia- 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Other optional ingredients: Chopped dry coconut pieces and cashews.
- Toast the puffed rice till crisp and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once it pops add the peanuts and fry till brown
- Add the red chillies and fry till crisp..
- Add the roasted gram and saute for a min.
- Next, add the turmeric, red chilli powder and curry leaves
- When the curry leaves turn crisp, add the hing and salt.
- Add the puffed rice, mix thoroughly and take of the flame.
- Keep it closed for 10-15mins for the flavours to infuse.
- Store in an air tight container.