This one is for all those tiny tots who have just started their first solid food. This recipe was given or should I say prescribed by Purvi's paediatrician and I must say that this is the best thing that any doctor can prescribe. This is definitely time consuming but it is rewarding as well. This mixture of sprouted whole grains and nuts is a tasty and power packed food to be introduced to the baby.
Since the ragi and wheat are sprouted, their nutrient content is increased ten fold. As there are four types of grains involved, it ensures that the baby gets used to a myriad of tastes. The other best part about this mixture is, it allows you to experiment with a lot of flavours. You can make this either salty or sweet. The weaning period can be difficult for both the mother and the baby. This recipe made the introduction of solid food to my baby relatively easy for me. I hope it does the same for you and your baby as well.
Homemade baby food recipe:
Preparation time: 2-3days, approximately
Rice- 1 cup
Moong dal- 1cup
Ragi/ finger millet- 1 cup
Elaichi/ cardamom- 10, powdered
Nutmeg powder- 3/4tsp
- Wash and soak the wheat and ragi in separate containers for 6-8 hrs
- Drain the water and place the grains in separate muslin cloths and tie them to a horizontal surface
- See to it that the cloth is wet and keep sprinkling water from time to time. It takes about 1-2 days for the grain to sprout completely.
- Wash the rice and the moong dal togoughly and drain.
- Mix the rice and moong dal along with the the sprouted grains and dry them in the shade for 4-6 hrs or till completely dry.
- Roast the dried grains in a thick bottomed vessel on a low flame till the grains are fragrant and well toasted. See to it that the grains are not over toasted or burnt.
- Cool the grain mixture completely and grind them along with the dried almonds in the mixer to a fine powder.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve to separate the large particles.
- Grind the large particles again to a fine powder and sieve.
- Repeat the process till all of the grain mixture is ground to a fine powder.
- Mix the powdered elaichi and nutmeg powder to the grain mixture and store in air tight containers.
For the porridge:
Malted grain mixture- 1-2tspn
Brown sugar/ Jaggery- 2tsp
1 deseeded date or 1tsp of date syrup (optional)
- Mix all the ingredents except milk in a bowl and make a think paste by adding some boiling water.
- Bring milk to a boil, and add the prepared paste.
- Cook for a min till the desired consistency is achieved. Serve warm
- Seive the ground mixture in a cheese cloth for the first couple of weeks and then make the mixture coarser with each passing week. This will ensure that your child gradually gets used to chewing and gets ready for adult food
- You can try adding different flavourings like, pureed banana or apple.
This is my contribution to Aipi's book marked recipes