First of all I want to wish everyone a very happy Diwali. The past few days have been hectic with the cleaning and poojas and ofcourse my little one. I hardly found anytime to update my blog. Since, I have some spare time on my hands now, I decided to post my gulab jamun recipe.
I guess this dessert needs no introduction. It is a favourite of one and all and it can be enjoyed warm or cold. It is a very simple way to make the traditional gulab jamun. And it tastes like it has been made out of khoya/mawa. So here goes the recipe.
Gulab Jamun recipe:
Preparation time- 30 mins
Cooking time- 20 mins
Makes about 30 jamun
Dry milk powder- 21/2 cups
Maida or all purpose flour- 1/2 cup
Water- 4 cups
Saffron- a pinch (optional)
Cardamom- 6-8, powdered
Baking soda- 1/8tsp
Milk- to make the dough
Oil or ghee to fry the jamun
- In a bowl, mix the dry milk powder, maida, soda and half of cardamom powder.
- Add little milk at a time and knead till a soft and firm dough is formed.
- For the syrup, bring the water and sugar to a boil.
- Simmer the srup over a low flame, till one string consistency is reached
- Add the other half of the cardamom and saffron and keep it aside.
- Divide the dough into 30 equal portions and shape them into balls. See to it that there no cracks on the surface or the jamuns will come apart while frying.
- Deep fry the balls in hot oil or ghee over low flame till golden in colour.
- Drain and immerse in warm sugar syrup,
- Soak fo 30-40 mins. Serve warm or cold.