This cake/ muffin has been in my "to do" list for a long time now. The reason for the procrastination was that I was trying to make this cake a wee bit healthier. The idea of incorporating ragi into this muffin came from here. And credit for the rest of the recipe goes to this lady here. Except for the addition of baking soda and butter, the recipe remains the same. The cake came out extremely well. It is actually very hard to tell that there is ragi in the cake. The Chocolate flavour camouflaged the taste of the ragi pretty well. As far as the texture is concerned, it is spongy, moist, and dense. All in all I would like to say that this is one recipe where super tasty and relatively healthy at the same time.
Ragi and chocolate muffin recipe:
Preparation time- 20mins
Baking time- 30-40 mins
Makes- 12- 14 muffins
Ragi flour- 1 cup
Maida or all purpose flour- 1cup
Baking powder- 2tsp
Baking soda- 1/4tsp
Cocoa powder- 1tbsp
Vanilla essence- 1tsp
Condensed milk- 1 tin or 400 ml
Milk- 1 cup
Butter- 3-4 tbsp, melted
- Sift the ragi, maida, baking powder, Cocoa and baking soda in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the condensed milk, milk, vanilla essence and the melted butter and mix thoroughly.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix only till the ingredients are well combined.
- Grease the muffin cups with a little oil and spoon the batter till 3/4 full
- Place in a preheated oven and bake at 180C for 30-40 mins or till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve warm.