Chutney pudi aka lentil spice mix is a very common spice blend among the kannadigas. You would'nt pass a kannadiga household who would not have a stock of this powder. This powder goes great with Dosas, idlis, chapatis, and rice. It just takes a few minutes to prepare and stays fresh for almost 3mnths. So try this and recipe I'm sure even you will start stocking this spice mix :)
Chutney pudi recipe:
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Makes about 3 cups
Channa dal or bengal gram- 1 cup
Urad dal or black gram- 1 cup
Grated dry coconut- 3/4 cup
Kashmiri Red chillies- 12-15
Tamarind- Small Lime sized
Jaggery- Lime sized or to taste
Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
Hing- 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
- Dry roast the chana dal and urad dal till brown and brittle and keep aside
- Dry roast the grated coconut till slightly brown and keep aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil and fry the tamarind for a min and keep aside
- Heat another 2tsp of oil and add the hing, red chillies and the curry leaves and fry till crisp.
- Turn off the heat and add the tamarind and the roasted lentils and mix thoroughly.
- Cool the mixture thoroughly and grind the mixture along with salt and jaggery to a coarse powder.
- Add the roasted coconut and grind again.
- Cool and store in air tight containers.