This recipe has been in my recipe files for ages now. I don't remember where I got this recipe from. But it was there, waiting to be tried out among 50 odd other recipes. On Saturday when I was going through the files, I noticed this recipe and decided to try it out. I must say that this recipe recipe did not disappoint me or S. This creamy vegetable stew makes a lovely accompaniment to rotis. And it goes great with rice too. Try it and I'm sure you will be pleased with the flavours.
Vegetables in Kadhi sauce recipe:
Preparation time- 20mins
Cooking time- 15 mins
Carrot- 1 med, cubed
French beans- 10- 12
Peas- 1/2 cup
Cauliflower- 8-10 florets
Gram flour/ besan- 5tbsp
Yogurt/ curds- 1 cup
Turmeric/ haldi- 1/4tspn
Ginger- 1"piece, ground to a paste
Asafotida/ Hing, 1 pinch
Jeera/ Cumin- 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1/4 tsp
Green chilli- 1, chopped
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Coriander seed powder- 1/2tsp
Garam masala- 1/4tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander to garnish
- Parboil the carrot, beans and peas and keep aside.
- Blanch the cauliflower florets in boiling water for 2 mins drain and keep aside.
- Add water to the besan and make a thin batter and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once it sputters, add the cumin seeds and fry till it changes colour.
- Add the curry leaves and hing and fry for a min more.
- Add the ginger paste and green chilli and fry till brown.
- Add the besan batter and stir till the batter thickens slightly.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander seed powder, salt and boil for 2 mins
- Add the garam masala powder and stir for a min. more.
- Add the cooked vegetables and simmer for sometime.
- Stir in the yogurt and give one boil and take off the heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or rotis.