I have been wanting to try this recipe for quite some time now. But as raw mangoes were not available, I couldn't try it. However, two days back when my vegetable vendor got raw mangoes, I decided to make this pickle. This is not the usual mango pickle. The pickle is sweet and the sweet flavour blends in beautifully with the sour mangoes. This pickle can be had with curd rice, or pongal, or just like that without any accompaniment. It's that good.
Sweet mango hot pickle recipe:
preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time- 1 hr
Makes- a bowl
Mangoes- 2 big or 4 small
Sugar- 1/3 cup
Fennel seeds- 1/2 tspn
Jeera/ cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Bay leaf- 1
Red chilli powder- 1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Oil- 2 tbsp
- Wash and wipe the mangoes dry.
- Cut the mangoes into bite sized pieces and keep aside.
- Boil the sugar with 1/2 cup of water till it reaches one-string consistency.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaves.
- After they sputter, add the mango cubes and saute for some time
- Add the red chilli powder and salt and mix.
- Pour the sugar syrup over the mango pieces and cook for 30-40 mins.
- Take off the heat. Cool the mixture and preserve it in a clean airtight bottle.