A large chunk of paneer had been sitting in the refrigerator crying to be used. Actually I wanted to make Kati rolls durinmg the weekend. But my pantry did not hve all the ingredients that ws required. And I was certainly not ready to do shopping in the blazing sun. It was then that I opted to make Kadhai paneer. Even though, the procedure is a little time consuming, the taste is worth all the effort.
A creamy curry, where the cottage cheese cubes are simmered in onion and tomato gravy. This is further enriched by the cashew paste and thick yogurt. Now can you think of anything better to pamper your palate?
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 15 min
Paneer- 300 gms
Capsicum- 2, cubed
Cashew- 15 soaked and ground to a paste
Onion- 1 large, Blanched and pureed
Tomato-2 blanched and pureed
Ginger-Garlic paste- 1-2tsp
Turmeric/ Haldi- 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Dhania/ coriander seed powder- 1 tsp
Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
Thick Yogurt- 3 tbsp
Kasoori methi- 1 tsp
Oil- 2 tbsp+ 1tbsp
Salt- to taste
Sugar- 1/2 tsp
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Clove- 2, powdered
Cinnamon- 1" piece powdered
Pepper- 5, powdered
Green chilli-1, slit
- Heat a tbspn of oil on a tawa and shallow fry the paneer cubes till brown. Drain on an absorbant paper and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbspn of oil in a kadhai. Add the onion paste and fry till brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a min.
- Add the tomato puree and saute for two more mins.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, sugar, salt, Coriander seed powder and stir for some time.
- Add the cashew paste and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the garam masala, Kasoori methi, paneer cubes and stir gently.
- Stir in the curds. Give one boil and take off the flame.
- Heat ghee in a separate pan, and add the powdered spices and fry for few seconds.
- Add the slit green chilli and the cubed capsicum.
- Fry till the capsicum is cooked and add this seasoning to the paneer gravy.
- Mix gently and serve hot with rotis or naan