Today is Mahalaya amavasya. As it marks the beginning of Navaratri, it is customary to make kheer or any sweet dish. We have been gorging on too many sweets lately. Moreover, I will be making more sweets during these next ten days. Hence, I wanted to make a kheer which would sooth the palate as well. I couldn't think of a better sweet dish than this. This kheer is healthy, tasty, and doesn't take up too much sugar as well. It did more than sooth our palate. It warmed our very souls.
Carrot and almond kheer recipe:
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time- 15 mins
Carrots: 4 med, peeled, cubed and boiled
Almonds- 12, blanched and peeled
Elaichi/ cardamom- 3 powdered
Milk- 2 to 21/2 cups
Saffron- 1/4tspn (optional)
- Soak the saffron in warm milk and keep aside.
- Grind the blanched almonds to a fine paste in a blender.
- Add the boiled carrots to the ground almond paste and grind to a fine paste again.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a pan.
- Add the ground mixture and simmer for a few mins.
- Add the cardamom powder, saffron and stir for some more time.
- Add the sugar, stir and turn off the heat.
- Serve warm.
I am submitting this kheer to Akhilas foodie palate series orange event